After a full weekend of knitting and finishing, I was so incredibly thrilled to hand this cardigan over to my sister. When the last end was sewn in, and the rainy skies finally let up, I told Sarah that we had to get photos before the next cloudburst. A belated birthday gift for my sweet sister…
Printed Silk Cardigan
As I was sewing up the last sleeve, I was overwhelmed at how well this all came together. I took a chance on the yarn – it wasn’t the same content (cotton and silk) and was a little larger gauge – but it is beautiful, and from a respectable company. At first, I thought it was going to be a problem because the yarn does tend to split. Like most other cotton/silk blends, it is a few small strands spun together. Luckily, I got the hang of it, and I didn’t have too many issues with errant threads popping out. The few that did were easy to poke back through to the wrong side of the fabric.
My choice of cardigan was ambitious to knit in the small time frame of one month – I began knitting this in mid-February (squarely within Project Spectrum: FIRE!) and hoped to be finished by March 17th, Sarah’s birthday. Alas, I did not finish until three weeks later. The timing did work out, however. We had planned a visit to North Carolina during the first week in April, and with a little dedication (and a lot of knitting!) it was all wrapped up on Sunday afternoon.
Sarah has a small frame, and without her physical presence to measure along the way, I had to take a chance. I chose the smallest size – 34″ and made a few modifications to fit the bust. I added an inch and a half to the stockinette body to account for her longer torso. The pattern does not call for a hem edge, so it rolls slightly. Some of the other knitters that have finished [Ravelry link] have added a small 1 x 1 ribbing around the bottom. I considered this, but Sarah said she liked the little roll… so I thought if she was happy, I was happy. Another change/oversight on my part involved my modification of the the body into a knit-in-the-round pattern. I knit the two front panels and the back as one piece to avoid seaming the garment in the end. I used stitch markers to note the separations and where to decrease/increase for the waist and bust shaping. However, I did not work in the small ribbed edging that is supposed to essentially “close” the garment across the torso… I simply forgot to work it in… yet, I have to say, that I really like the way it looks. Sarah is thin, and she doesn’t have to worry about the dreaded “muffin top” phenomenon. The draping in the front is reminiscent of another pattern that has caught my eye many times over the years, the Slouchy Cardigan from Greetings from Knit Cafe [Ravelry link].
I hope she can wear it for years to come. The color suits her better than I could have imagined!