When we started to put together this year’s Project Spectrum sequences, I was hoping to keep the elements as one of the themes. I truly enjoyed this aspect last year, and I especially like the integration this year with the other aspects of season and materials along with the cardinal direction. Project Spectrum is truly multi-dimensional this year!
The ~AIR~ element, the element that we are focusing on now as a part of Project Spectrum EAST, seemed like the perfect time to explore a new color combination. For a few months, I have really been enjoying the subtlety and juxtaposition of the colors gray and yellow.
For me, gray evokes visions of clouds or shadows. In contrast, yellow is about brightness and luminescence. It seems like such a deep concept to use these two colors when creating something – or you can simply just enjoy the way the colors look together: whatever level you chose to take it to!
Gray + Yellow = Grellow!
I knit this hat, the fabulously fitting free Felicity pattern (thanks Nettie!) exclusively while watching my team, the Pittsburgh Penguins, make their way to the Stanley Cup Finals. You could even say the “grellow” is a little homage to them – a lighter, more feminine version – of the standard black and gold. The series is still on, and they rallied for a nice win last night. The hat was part of the Stanley Stashbusting knitalong that I organized on Ravelry’s Puck This group again this year. We just knit knit knit down the stash during the playoffs till the Cup is lifted over the heads of the players. This hat pretty much has hockey knit into every stitch; for it was cast on and started the night that I received *the kiss* at the Penguins/Capitals game . (Funny aside: I am still getting comments and messages about this night on Flickr and through email and through some of the various hockey forums! It truly was a memorable night!)
The hat used The Fibre Company Knightsbridge, an alpaca wool blend with beautiful color flecks. It is a light worsted yarn, so I adjusted the needle size in the pattern down to size US 5s for a tighter fabric. The yellow buttons are from my grandmother’s button tin – vintage, mismatched, and beautiful yellow. I pretty much just dropped them on the hat and just sewed them on where they landed! Such a simple embellishment, but it gives the hat a really hip feel.
My Project Spectrum projects thus far (with the exception of the natural baby blanket) have focused primarily on photography and gardening – with the beautiful flowers blooming outside, I felt that it was a perfect way to celebrate the *Spring* and the -Wood- aspect of PS East, and to take copious amounts of outdoor photos both in my garden, my parent’s flower garden, and on some of the trails we have taken recently…
Many many thanks for your responses to my last post regarding Lyme disease. Thank you for sending your thoughts and well-wishes, and thank you for relating your stories as well. It is encouraging to know that more people are aware of this disease than in the past, of course, there is so much more that can be done.